Do you ever feel overwhelmed by all the ways you could start packing for vacations? Here are a few suggestions and helpful questions to ask yourself as you put your packing list together!
- Check the weather (including the wind, humidity, and precipitation)
- Never assume that your destination, which might be idealized for the nice weather, will be as warm as you think. Take a close look at the wind, humidity, and chances of rain — 70ºF can feel drastically different depending on the altitude, or how close you are to the water.
- Think about what activities you have planned
- Ask yourself: ‘how active will I be on this trip? How will I get around?’ Your answers will help inform you on what kinds of shoes, and how much athletic clothing (if any) you’ll need to bring. You’ll want to have a pair of comfortable walking shoes with you if you’ll be exploring on foot, especially if you know that the roads are unpaved or cobblestone-lined.
- Make a day by day, outfit by outfit packing list
- So you have a cute outfit planned for each day — remember to also pack a complementary jacket to bring in case it gets colder than expected!
- Like our assistant stylist Greta says, “no outfit is complete without accessories.” Bring ample choices in hats, jewelry, shoes and bags for both casual and formal settings.
- Consider the context of where you’re going
- Does the destination city have any cultural clothing norms? What kinds of events do you plan on attending while you’re there? You can also take into consideration the kinds of restaurants that you have lined up: you won’t want to stand out too much while you’re abroad!
I hope this guide provided you with some professional advice on how to properly pack for your next vacation! I offer personal shopping and lookbook-creation services to take away all the decision fatigue that might go into packing. Book a complimentary phone call with me HERE to learn more about my Concierge Services!