One thing about the Bay Area fashion scene (casual, yes, but still a scene) is that every piece is incredibly functional. Because day-wear easily transitions to nighttime, you will rarely get turned away by restaurants for not being dressy enough (with the exception of some three-dollar-sign restaurants, perhaps — But even then, your sneakers might just be safe anywhere). So what kinds of outfits should you be packing to fit in with the Norcal-casual crowd? Just follow our packing guide below on what to wear when visiting the Bay Area.
- Arcteryx Wool Ball Cap
- Perfect for your hikes in the redwoods, and also good for daily wear when the sun’s out
- Carhartt Knit Cuffed Beanie
- On windy days in the city, wear a beanie to keep warm
- Lululemon Wunder Puff Cropped Vest
- Over long sleeve shirts, or light sweaters
- Nocturne Belted Puffer Jacket
- Comfy-chic for morning farmers market runs
- Commense Sherpa Lined Shearling Leather Jacket
- Perfect for dinners with friends, and will keep you warm coming home from late night drinks
- Allbirds Long Sleeve Sea Tee
- Odor repellent, in case you break out a sweat hiking up and down the SF streets
- Free People One Colt Thermal
- Heat-retaining tops making layering under windbreakers, vests, and less functional jackets easy.
- Mother Runaway High Waist Frayed Hem Jeans
- A soft pair of jeans with good stretch are ideal for being comfortable all day, while keeping you warm!
- Bonobos Stretch Washed Chino 2.0
- Chinos are easy to wear from your day out into the night, especially with Norcal’s casual dress code
- L.L. Bean Primaloft ThermaStretch Fleece Tights
- Yes, leggings go with almost everything, but the Bay Area does get cold. Try a pair of fleece-lined leggings, to make sure you stay warm in your athleisure outfit.
- Pact The Harbour Zip Jumpsuit
- Outfit building has never been easier: just remember to keep a fun, warm jacket with you
- Alo Conquer ¼ Zip Reform Long Sleeve with Conquer Pants
- Athleisure is the uniform for everyone here. For lowkey but still active days, wear a set like this one from Alo
- Veja Esplar Leather sneakers
- Good Man Brand Classic Legend London Sneaker
- Easily dressed up or down, a comfy, classic pair of white sneakers will go a long way on your trip
I hope you enjoyed this wardrobe guide, and that you’ll have an easier time deciding what to wear when visiting the Bay Area! Feel free to refer to my 10 Pro-Tips for Online Shopping for more guidance while you pick up whatever pieces you might need. Until next week, happy holidays, and happy shopping!